Monday, March 5, 2007

Devil's advocate has gone too far

Dear Gentlemen and Ladies:

I like Mr. Broges and his columns, and I feel that he often brings balance to the Globe's sports coverage. I applaud him for playing "Devil's Advocate" and representing less popular opinions when necessary. This is why it saddens me so that a talented writer like Mr. Borges would lift almost an entire article from another writer. I do not believe that the disclaimer at the end of his March 4, 2007 article "Seahawk is a Better Catch" is sufficient to excuse his line-for-line replication of Mike Sando's February 25, 2007 article "Seahawks Intend to Shop Jackson" in the Tacoma News Tribune.

I used to receive the Globe at home, and now buy the Monday-Friday editions at a newsstand on the way to work. I normally would not have seen this particular article, but I was intrigued by the coverage of this was receiving on WEEI and decided to take a look for myself. I urge you to do the same, and to do the right thing, and protect the integrity of the Boston Globe, the most beloved and respected paper in the region. Mr. Borges must face serious (and public) reprimand at the very least, but due to his unfortunate unpopularity, it may be better for him to move on altogether.

Thank you for your time and attention,
Michael L. Rybacki

No comments: