Friday, March 2, 2007

Surprise cut

Wow. The Steelers cut Joey Porter loose for cap reasons Thursday.

This is nothing new for the Steelers, who treat 30-year-old linebackers like clingy hookers: by kicking them the hell out. Greg Lloyd, Kevin Greene, Levon Kirkland -- they all got the boot.

Porter will get paid somewhere, for sure -- I'd take an angry Joey Porter for a year or two, no problem. With all the money out there this year, he'll do fine.

Also, the Saints cut Joe Horn, another veteran getting the gate. Check out Horn's quotes:

"Right now it's going around that (the Saints) wanted to restructure my contract and I asked to be released, but this has nothing to do with money," Horn said told The Fayetteville (N.C.) Observer. "I wanted to retire as a Saint. I've been through hell and back for that city and that organization. If I wanted out of New Orleans that bad, I would have just kept my mouth shut and let them move the team to San Antonio.

"I just don't think [coach] Sean Payton wanted me back. I asked to be released because I felt betrayed by a head coach who wanted to prove he could win without Joe Horn."

Ouch. Horn was having a big year for the Saints while healthy, and he's another guy that will provide big value for 1-2 years.

No comments: